The Explorers Program
A modern take on a summer at camp, Gate Hill Day Camp's Explorers Program combines the fun of a traditional day camp with the excitement of an enrichment experience for campers entering 3rd grade - 9th grade. An alternative to the regular program, a portion of our community is drawn to the exciting variety and flexibility of this arts and science program.
Uniquely designed workshops capture the interest of today's precocious child, in a community that encourages play, develops skills and builds self-esteem.
The program is based on five core workshop categories. Some example workshops are given below:
- Science & Technology: Rocketry, Lego Mindstorms robotics, CSI: Gate Hill, Kitchen Science, Roller coaster Science, Junkyard Wars, Catapults, Electronics.
- Creative & Digital Arts: Photography, Video Game Design, Stop Motion Animation, Flip Video movies and editing, Rock Band Posters, Cake Decorating.
- Strategic Games: Chess tournament, Magic: The Gathering, Board Game Design.
- Music & Theater: Camp Band, Camp musical, Drumming, Improv Games, Guitar, Stage Combat, Set Design, Music Jam, Hip Hop.
- History & Social Science: Archeology, Native American Jewelry, Orienteering, Gate Hill: Survivor, Mock debate.
All workshops are designed with the same objective – To create a learning experience that is fun, hands-on, relevant, and engaging. To complement the program design, guest instructors, related field trips and special events are programmed throughout the summer.
Workshop Mornings: Explorer campers can pick from several diverse workshop choices for each of 3 morning workshop sessions. The chosen workshops run over the course of a week, with each day building upon the previous day's work, projects and concepts. These tailored workshops are created exclusively for campers in the Explorer program, taking into account their age, skill level, and interests.
- Instructional Swim
- Workshop 1
- Workshop 2
- Workshop 3
- Group activity
- Recreational swim
- Camp elective
Gate Hill Afternoons: An Explorer's afternoon is rounded out with activities from our traditional camp program of Sports, Aquatics, & Arts. the group comes together for an activity and then campers join others their age to choose all camp activities for their afternoon elective. Explorers have instructional and recreational swim daily plus lunch, snack and any camp wide special event. Just like all GHDC campers, Explorers are part of the camp community – making friends, connecting with their counselors , participating in camp wide traditions, and having fun while embodying the Gate Hill spirit everyday!
The Explorers Program is designed for campers who are looking for an enriching twist on their summer experience, but still want to enjoy the culture & excitement of an outdoor day camp.